A gas leak occurs when there’s some fault in an appliance that uses gas or a gas line. If there’s a crack in a gas line or an improperly fastened connection between an appliance and gas line, gas will leak. The gases that comprise most leaks are propane, carbon monoxide, and natural gas.
Gas leaks should be repaired as soon as possible. They’re a hazard to people, property, and pets. Not only are some gases poisonous, they’re also flammable. If you’re not sure you have a gas leak, there are some clear signs that something is amiss with your gas-based appliances or gas lines.
Most faults or cracks in appliances or gas lines tend to be small. Consequently, if there’s a gas leak, the sound you’ll hear will resemble any gas exiting through a small space. The sound may resemble air escaping a bottle with a slightly loose cap or forcefully breathing through pursed lips.
Alternatively, the sound may resemble hissing. While it’s possible that the hissing sound suggests a snake is in your house, the more likely culprit is a gas leak.
Natural gas, propane, and carbon monoxide are all odorless and colorless. To aid detection, companies add a harmless chemical, Mercaptan, to add a particularly intense smell to the gas entering your house. The smell is akin to smelly socks, rotten eggs, or something similarly gag-inducing. If you smell something like this, you likely have a gas leak.
However, there’s an exception to this sign. While carbon monoxide is also odorless and colorless, it leaks when gas isn’t properly burned. Mercaptan isn’t added to it, so if it does leak, your nose likely won’t pick up on it.
There are two solutions. The first is to wait till you or someone in your home shows symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. For obvious reasons, this isn’t a great idea. Instead, you should buy a carbon monoxide detector, which will alert you to a leak.
Exposure to these gases will eventually give rise to some physical symptoms. Exposure to propane and natural gas could trigger headaches, dizziness, and fatigue, among other things.
The exposure can also trigger fatigue and breathing difficulties, among other things, in pets. Prolonged exposure can result in death or losing consciousness. Carbon monoxide poisoning, generally, has the same symptoms, with the addition of chest pains.
While there are a bunch of things that can cause the above symptoms, you can never be too safe. You should visit a doctor to get yourself checked out. In tandem with the doctor’s visit, you should contact a professional plumbing service to examine your house for leaks.
Pro Serve Plumbing offers quick and quality gas leak and line repairs, as well as the installation of equipment to aid gas detection. We’re located in Fort Worth and offer emergency repair services throughout the area.
Don’t risk your health. Contact us now, and let us take care of your leaks, even during the pandemic!