Tips for Fixing a Jammed Garbage Disposal
More than 255 million tons of garbage is generated in the US annually. Garbage disposers play an important role in the effective management of this waste. Around 8 million units of garbage disposers and compactors were shipped around the US in 2018. These devices are very common in the US, but are rarely used elsewhere in the world.
A garbage disposer is installed between the trap and the sink drain under a kitchen sink. Its function is to shred food waste into small pieces so that they can easily flow through the plumbing.
These devices can get jammed and stop working for a number of reasons. So if you find your garbage disposer jammed, here’s how you can un-jam it and make it work immediately.
- There’s a hole located at the bottom of the garbage disposer. Insert a wrench into the hole, using the wrench like a crank.
- Rotate the wrench in both directions. If it doesn’t move, it’s ok to use force. The wrench will bend before the disposer is damaged, it’s designed that way.
- Continue working the wrench back and forth until it’s able to turn freely in both directions.
- The disposer’s overlord protector is also located near the bottom. It’s a small red button. This button is supposed to stay up, so if it has tripped, gently press it up. Wait for ten minutes. If it doesn’t stay up for 10 minutes, re-press the button.
- You also need to check inside the disposer. Use a flashlight to look inside the container area. Pay attention to the outer edge of the shredder disk. If there is anything stuck inside, use pliers or tongs to remove it. Be warned never to put your hand inside the disposer.
- The tips above should have repaired your disposer. Turn the water on first and then the disposer. If it still doesn’t work, repeat the process again. You might need to repeat the process several times.
Professional Plumber Service
If the device still doesn’t work, it probably needs a professional plumber to look at it due to a technical issue that you can’t overcome by yourself.
Pro Serve Plumbing caters to plumbing services Fort Worth. If your garbage disposer isn’t working or you need any other kind of plumbing assistance, we’re only a call away. Call us now at 1-817-244-0614 to avail our 24/7 emergency service.