Unfortunately, plumbing problems can pop up at any time, causing distress and annoyance. In fact, with more people staying at home due to the lockdown, some reports indicate that the number of residential plumbing problems have gone up.
And while there are some complex plumbing tasks you should never attempt as a beginner, there are some smaller problems that most homeowners are able to tackle on their own.
So if you’re looking for a distraction or a constructive way to spend your time around the house, here are some plumbing projects you can take on while at home.
1. Fix a Leaky Faucet
A leaky faucet isn’t just annoying—it also causes serious water loss. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, a faucet that leaks at a rate of one drip per second wastes over 3,000 gallons of water every year.
Luckily, this project can be tackled in under an hour. Here’s how you should proceed:
- Turn off the sink’s water supply from the main valve and turn on the faucet to drain what’s left in the line.
- Plug the sink’s drain with a rag to prevent losing important screws.
- Remove the handle and the remaining screws using a screwdriver
- Disassemble the faucet and replace the cartridge
- Reassemble and put back in place
2. Unclog a Sink Drain
Kitchen sinks can get clogged with food particles, grease, and oils. To clean out the P-trap, you’ll have to:
- Unscrew the fitting under the kitchen sink
- Disconnect the P-trap from the mainline
- Clean out any dirt or debris
- Reattach the P-trap in the same manner
3. Install a New Showerhead
Old, rusty, and clogged showerheads take all the pleasure out of an otherwise enjoyable activity. Fortunately, the process of replacing a showerhead is quite simple. You’ll have to:
- Remove the showerhead by unscrewing it from the pipe
- Clean the shower arm with a toothbrush to ensure better water flow
- Screw in the fresh showerhead and tighten using a wrench. For best results, use a plumber’s tape to secure it.
When to Call a Professional?
For more complex tasks that involve plumbing in large sections of your home, get a plumber to perform the job. Damaged sewer pipes, frozen lines, and low water pressure are just some examples of such issues.
Pro Serve Plumbing offers superior residential plumbing services to clients in Aledo, TX. Our licensed plumbers provide reliable and affordable services while maintaining safety protocols. During this difficult time, we continue to offer 24/7 emergency plumbing services to clients.
Call us now at 1-817-244-0614 for all your plumbing related needs.